1973 Mercruiser Mie 225 Ford 302 Coil Resistor

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 docsouce

docsouce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Sport Fishing, Motorcycling. Restoring antique anything.

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:58 PM

Hello Again Folks

I'm working on the ignition, and I find the coil I bought, that is listed for this engine,notes that it is to be used with a resistor. I went on line to a few marine parts that list this engine and don't seem to find one listed. However, Ebasic power had one listed for this application..My owners manual doesn't mention one either. I'm pertty sure the only reason for having one tied in is to lower thw voltage that is fed to the points thereby increasing the point life..Is this what it is used for?? And more importantly did this engine have one on it. The notes I have found say if there isn't one on the engine, just run it without one. The problem here is that there were so many things missing or changed on this engine I really don't know what the original set up was..

As always any help is appreciated..

Dave
Docsouce

1973 23 Avenger
225 Mercruiser

#2 pilotnomore

pilotnomore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,078 posts
  • Interests:LIFE

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:37 AM

:D Never really heard of Fords using resistors on Boat ignitions. But then again Idunknow! Quite common with Chrysler though. But why not save yourself the hassels of points and condensors and up grdae to a electronic distributor. Check http://www.summitracing.com/ Mallory or MSD or Pertronics for less than 300 bucks. Check out web site (click on marine) then give'em a call and they will get ya set up with good info. It'll help keep the cruise in crusing! Just some input! ;)

#3 gerald

gerald

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

there should be some from of resistor between the ignition switch(bat) and the coil. should be two wires to the hot side of the coil. one from starter area, and one from ignition switch area. when cranking engine, the one from the starter is powered. when ign in the run position, the one connectiong to battery is on, and the one from the starting part is off. GM almost always used a resistor(big ceramic thing) near the coil. chrysler used a resistance wire that connected to the coil.. do not know about fords. check the wire from the ing to the coil. if when on you have around 8V. it is a resistance wire. if close to 12v. it is not, and you need a resistor. go to any real auto parts store with real people and a lot of dust on a lot of the parts. first ask them if they have a ford 351(or whatever that engine is) BALLAST RESISTOR, and if fords used them. if not, get a gm ballast resistor. get 2. they are really easy to break. after installed, when engine is running, should see around 8V at hot side of coil.
jerry
On the Potomac, 10 miles south of the capitol in a sea of hydrilla.

pennyan@slawecki.com

#4 PENN YAN NUT

PENN YAN NUT

• Moderators
  • Pip
  • 2,527 posts
  • Interests:FISHING AND PENN YANs.

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:36 PM

This is from a post I made a few years ago . Hope it helps

Definition of a Ballast Resister;
An engine component that lowers the supply voltage to the ignition system after the engine has been started. Because cranking the engine causes a very heavy load on the battery, the system voltage can drop quite low during cranking. To allow the engine to start, the ignition system must be designed to operate on this lower voltage. But once cranking is completed, the normal operating voltage is regained; this voltage would overload the ignition system. To avoid this problem, a Ballast resistor is inserted in series with the supply voltage feeding the ignition system. Occasionally, this Ballast resistor will fail and the classic symptom of this failure is that the engine runs while being cranked (while the resistor is bypassed) but stalls immediately when cranking ceases (and the resistor is re-connected in the circuit).
55 trailboat (model BGS Backrest Senior)57 evinrude 18 h.p. / 45 evinrude zephyr 5.4 h.p. four cylinder
58 evinrude 18h.p. fastwin
75 23' AVENGER "S" PYBAM304M75H 360 CHRYSLER RWC LHR
76 30 sf

Past Penn Yans
77 23' AVENGER "SFT" PYBAM578M77I 318 CHRYSLER FWC RHR (SOLD)
71 Explorer 20'5" I/O (non tunnel) 155 v-6 kaiser / omc stringer (SOLD)

#5 pilotnomore

pilotnomore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:00 PM

This is from a post I made a few years ago . Hope it helps

Definition of a Ballast Resister;
An engine component that lowers the supply voltage to the ignition system after the engine has been started. Because cranking the engine causes a very heavy load on the battery, the system voltage can drop quite low during cranking. To allow the engine to start, the ignition system must be designed to operate on this lower voltage. But once cranking is completed, the normal operating voltage is regained; this voltage would overload the ignition system. To avoid this problem, a Ballast resistor is inserted in series with the supply voltage feeding the ignition system. Occasionally, this Ballast resistor will fail and the classic symptom of this failure is that the engine runs while being cranked (while the resistor is bypassed) but stalls immediately when cranking ceases (and the resistor is re-connected in the circuit).

:D EXCELLENT INFO AND REMINDER! If I could only remember this type of info rather then what time Happy Hour starts I'd be ahead of Murphey. ;)

#6 DoubleDip

DoubleDip

• Members
  • Pip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:Boating, Fishing

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

There are coils built with internal resistor. Perhaps thatís why you canít find one in the harness.

1980 26' Flybridge, twin 360s

The two best day's in the life of a boater is the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

#7 PENN YAN NUT

PENN YAN NUT

• Moderators
  • Pip
  • 2,527 posts
  • Interests:FISHING AND PENN YANs.

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:01 PM

I think that if its a later GM that has the coil in the cap that It does have a resistor built into the coil . A new electonic ignition kit is well worth the investment . Coil ,wires , complete distbutor for around three bills if you shop hard . Try ebasic .
55 trailboat (model BGS Backrest Senior)57 evinrude 18 h.p. / 45 evinrude zephyr 5.4 h.p. four cylinder
58 evinrude 18h.p. fastwin
75 23' AVENGER "S" PYBAM304M75H 360 CHRYSLER RWC LHR
76 30 sf

Past Penn Yans
77 23' AVENGER "SFT" PYBAM578M77I 318 CHRYSLER FWC RHR (SOLD)
71 Explorer 20'5" I/O (non tunnel) 155 v-6 kaiser / omc stringer (SOLD)

#8 Seafoam

Seafoam

Up Oars!

• Moderators
  • Pip
  • 4,718 posts
  • Interests:two 72' PY Avenger 235

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

:D EXCELLENT INFO AND REMINDER! If I could only remember this type of info rather then what time Happy Hour starts I'd be ahead of Murphey. ;)

Hello my friend. I have a clock under my bbq pit that ALWAYS reads 5 PM! (burp)
Seafoam
"Beer, it's so much more than just a breakfast drink"
Don't take life to seriously...you'll never get out Alive!
Just Another Day In PARADISE

#9 pilotnomore

pilotnomore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:58 AM

Hello my friend. I have a clock under my bbq pit that ALWAYS reads 5 PM! (burp)

:D I'll be there 'bout :P 4:45. I keep losing my clock and I have to use the Sun. Which gets a little confusing when Doris is tellin' me it's not even NOON yet. Yeah and she can't read smoke signals either :lol: so what does she know?! You have a good day. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The oPYnions expressed within the PY A&C BOC forum are those of their respective members,
not necessarily those of the club's membership as a whole. Your discretion is advised and appreciated

While we strive to ensure that individuals who offer items for sale or trade are legitimate,
the PY A&C BOC cannot/will not be held responsible for any monetary transactions or trades made via this Forum.