• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sammy614

Sammy614

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:25 PM

I'm in the process of restoring a 1955 Penn Yan Swift and I have come to realize that I will need to replace 2 full ribs and 1 half rib. They are located near the transom (the 6th, 7th and 8th ribs). This is not something I have done before and wondered if anyone out there could give me some advise on how to go about this repair. I would appreciate any and all assistance. Thanks,

John

#2 PENN YAN NUT

PENN YAN NUT

• Moderators
  • Pip
  • 2,509 posts
  • Interests:FISHING AND PENN YANs.

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:12 PM

I'm in the process of restoring a 1955 Penn Yan Swift and I have come to realize that I will need to replace 2 full ribs and 1 half rib. They are located near the transom (the 6th, 7th and 8th ribs). This is not something I have done before and wondered if anyone out there could give me some advise on how to go about this repair. I would appreciate any and all assistance. Thanks,

John

Do u have the canvas off ??
55 trailboat (model BGS Backrest Senior)57 evinrude 18 h.p. / 45 evinrude zephyr 5.4 h.p. four cylinder
58 evinrude 18h.p. fastwin
75 23' AVENGER "S" PYBAM304M75H 360 CHRYSLER RWC LHR
76 30 sf

Past Penn Yans
77 23' AVENGER "SFT" PYBAM578M77I 318 CHRYSLER FWC RHR (SOLD)
71 Explorer 20'5" I/O (non tunnel) 155 v-6 kaiser / omc stringer (SOLD)

#3 Sammy614

Sammy614

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:28 PM

Do u have the canvas off ??

Yes, I have removed the canvas and the transom as that will be replaced as well. John

#4 PENN YAN NUT

PENN YAN NUT

• Moderators
  • Pip
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:04 PM

Yes, I have removed the canvas and the transom as that will be replaced as well. John

First put the transom back together.
Ok . I believe the ribs are white oak. You need to find the right piece of oak that has the grain uniform throughout the length you will be using. You will have to cut your piece so that the grain will be running across the the width not the thickness. You will have to make a steamer. I made one once out of a electric deep fryer and a piece of 2 inch pipe. search online and you'll find some pictures of some and hints on steaming wood. Pull one of the old fasteners out so you know what you'll need to get to replace them.I think they are 1/2 or 5/8 Bronze tacks .Cut the new rib 2 inches longer than what you need so you'll have about an inch sticking beyond the inner and outer gunwales .Assuming you have the gunwales removed you will trim the rib flush when they are back on .Once you get your peice steamed fit it into place and fasten it with the tacks . ALSO Clamp it- weight it -stand on it- hold it or what ever you have to do until it dries. After that if you want to try and make it look agged to match the others stain it before you varnish . try the stain on a scrap piece until it matches.
55 trailboat (model BGS Backrest Senior)57 evinrude 18 h.p. / 45 evinrude zephyr 5.4 h.p. four cylinder
76 30 sf

Past Penn Yans

#5 Sammy614

Sammy614

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:38 PM

First put the transom back together.
Ok . I believe the ribs are white oak. You need to find the right piece of oak that has the grain uniform throughout the length you will be using. You will have to cut your piece so that the grain will be running across the the width not the thickness. You will have to make a steamer. I made one once out of a electric deep fryer and a piece of 2 inch pipe. search online and you'll find some pictures of some and hints on steaming wood. Pull one of the old fasteners out so you know what you'll need to get to replace them.I think they are 1/2 or 5/8 Bronze tacks .Cut the new rib 2 inches longer than what you need so you'll have about an inch sticking beyond the inner and outer gunwales .Assuming you have the gunwales removed you will trim the rib flush when they are back on .Once you get your peice steamed fit it into place and fasten it with the tacks . ALSO Clamp it- weight it -stand on it- hold it or what ever you have to do until it dries. After that if you want to try and make it look agged to match the others stain it before you varnish . try the stain on a scrap piece until it matches.

#6 Sammy614

Sammy614

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:44 PM

Thanks for your advice. I just want to clarify one point. I should remove all the fastners (tacks) from the existing ribs and when the new ribs are steamed I slide them into place and refasten? Thanks agian,

John

#7 PENN YAN NUT

PENN YAN NUT

• Moderators
  • Pip
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:31 AM

Thanks for your advice. I just want to clarify one point. I should remove all the fastners (tacks) from the existing ribs and when the new ribs are steamed I slide them into place and refasten? Thanks agian,

John

Yes but i would do one rib at a time so as the others will help hold the shape of the hull. Make sure you dont rush the steaming process. When its ready it will be like a wet noodle.
76 30 sf

Past Penn Yans

#8 Sammy614

Sammy614

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:32 PM

Yes but i would do one rib at a time so as the others will help hold the shape of the hull. Make sure you dont rush the steaming process. When its ready it will be like a wet noodle.

Thank you very much for your feedback it is very helpful.

John

#9 PENN YAN NUT

PENN YAN NUT

• Moderators
  • Pip
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:51 PM

Thank you very much for your feedback it is very helpful.

John

Your welcome . Thats what makes this Penn Yan club site so great . Get help when you need it and give help when you can. Dont forget to buy from the ship's store to help with funds to keep this site running.
76 30 sf

Past Penn Yans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The oPYnions expressed within the PY A&C BOC forum are those of their respective members,
not necessarily those of the club's membership as a whole. Your discretion is advised and appreciated

While we strive to ensure that individuals who offer items for sale or trade are legitimate,
the PY A&C BOC cannot/will not be held responsible for any monetary transactions or trades made via this Forum.