6 replies to this topic

#1 captvic

captvic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:woodworking

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:57 AM

There is an aticle by Bill Oben( current President of the Board of the Finger Lakes Boating Museum) on the hisory of Penn Yan Boats in Classic Boating magazine( September/October 2007 issue). 12 pages of pictures, specs and history

#2 SteveS

SteveS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:47 PM

For the Yanners, I also created an Album named "History" which contains the 2008 article. The .JPGs should download to be easily read.

Hopefully an ADMIN can move the Album up to the main level for others to add history pictures as well.

Published August 2008 WoodenBoat {abbrv}

1964 Penn Yan acquired Duratech Manufacturing Corporation of Peekskill, NY. Duratech production was transferred to Penn Yan. Aluminum boats were produced there for the next few years. 1966 saw the end of wooden boat construction in favor of fiberglass.

{excerpt from Spokan Dave} thanks to some help from Joeseph at duratechboats.com I was able to get this history of the duratech line. "Duratech came out with the Comanche in '62 and the company was sold to Penn Yan in '65. When Penn Yan put out their own Duratech brochure, the Comanche was called the Galaxy Cruiser.

How about this. Introduced in 1935. Penn Yan had a new piece of hardware called the Safety Strut. This device bolted to the boat's transom and carried the propellor shaft and rudderstock loads. The integral fin reduced skid in turns. The casting is solid bronze. The idea improved stability and gave the designer an ability to place the engine to the stern without a V-drive to get a proper propellor-shaft angle. Manufacturing continued into the 1950s.

Attached File  Transport_pic.JPG   49.9KB   135 downloads

1941 was the start of supply for 18' inboard craft to the US Army. The Utility Craft hulls were built by subcontract using a design showing the propeller-housing tunnels molded into the bottom. The design making Penn Yan famous was introduced to the public in 1968. The contract covering the WWII era likely provided the designers an opportunity to prefect the tunnel hull.

Attached File  tunnel_pic.jpg   27.96KB   133 downloads Attached File  US_pic.JPG   59.8KB   178 downloads
19?? 23 Avenger SF - Rt.
That is retired for restoration

#3 scottk

scottk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 384 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:46 PM

Thanks for posting the article. The images were too small for me to read the text. Any chance of making them larger? Thanks. Scottk
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

1973 20 Penn Yan Montego 225 hp MerCruiser power
1975 28 Cigarette SS 320 hp MerCruiser power X2
1982 38 Wellcraft Scarab Kaama Edition 500 hp MerCruiser power X2

PENN YAN BOATS - If you have to ask why you wouldn't understand the answer.........

#4 SteveS

SteveS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:38 PM

Thanks Scott. I would not have known that folks couldn't read them. I guess resolution was lost.

All were reloaded in .GIF format. Using IE 7.0 they now appear readable.

Do not print them from IE. They will print across multiple pages in a huge mess. To print, right click Save As first and then re-open in a viewer like MS Picture Viewer {std in Windows}.
19?? 23 Avenger SF - Rt.

#5 Bob Sullivan

Bob Sullivan

• Moderators
  • Pip
  • 4,230 posts
  • Interests:Fishing- Former diver (hard Hat +)

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:22 PM

I have no clue how to convert and save that stuff to the Board.

But that utility boat looks like a gem.
Sully

#6 SteveS

SteveS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:01 PM

Bob

Those images are all in the gallery. It is in a member folder called history.

A right click will let you save the pictures to your machine.
19?? 23 Avenger SF - Rt.

#7 Judi Brown

Judi Brown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Website Design, Racing,

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:18 PM

For the Yanners, I also created an Album named "History" which contains the 2008 article. The .JPGs should download to be easily read.

Hopefully an ADMIN can move the Album up to the main level for others to add history pictures as well.

Published August 2008 WoodenBoat {abbrv}

1964 Penn Yan acquired Duratech Manufacturing Corporation of Peekskill, NY. Duratech production was transferred to Penn Yan. Aluminum boats were produced there for the next few years. 1966 saw the end of wooden boat construction in favor of fiberglass.

{excerpt from Spokan Dave} thanks to some help from Joeseph at duratechboats.com I was able to get this history of the duratech line. "Duratech came out with the Comanche in '62 and the company was sold to Penn Yan in '65. When Penn Yan put out their own Duratech brochure, the Comanche was called the Galaxy Cruiser.

I haven't figured out if there's a way to move the album from where it is now, but here is a link to it for y'all:

http://www.pennyanbb...album&album=130

I'll keep looking for a way to bump it up to the main gallery page
Judi Brown
The PY A&C BOC Admin/Mod Crew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The oPYnions expressed within the PY A&C BOC forum are those of their respective members,
not necessarily those of the club's membership as a whole. Your discretion is advised and appreciated

While we strive to ensure that individuals who offer items for sale or trade are legitimate,
the PY A&C BOC cannot/will not be held responsible for any monetary transactions or trades made via this Forum.